Code of Ethics
The purpose of the Shiba Inu Fanciers of Northern California is to protect and advance the interests of the registered Shiba Inu. This Code of Ethics is designed to establish a standard of conduct to be followed by all members of the Shiba Inu Fanciers of Northern California, A.K.A. SFNC, in order to promote the highest ideals among Shiba Inu owners and breeders, and aim for the continuous improvement of the breed within the framework of The National Shiba Club of America and The American Kennel Club approved breed standard.
- Each member of SFNC will consider the welfare of the breed when engaged in any activities involving the breeding, exhibiting, and selling of Shiba Inus, and will refrain from any actions which would be prejudicial to the best interests of the breed and of SFNC. Breeders should accept responsibility for those animals that are the result of their breedings, whether they be abandoned, found in shelters or if an owner finds themselves unable/unwilling to care for a dog.
- All members of SFNC shall conduct themselves at all times in a manner which will reflect credit upon themselves and upon the breed regardless of the location or circumstances, but especially when attending dog club meetings or shows, whether as an exhibitor or a spectator, and will promote goodwill among fellow members and other fanciers of the breed.
- Any breeding shall be done with discrimination for the purpose of improving the breed. It is recommended that prior to breeding that all animals obtain a rating from OFA of fair or better, have eyes rated normal by a certified Vet. Opth., and have knees and heart evaluated normal by a licensed Veterinarian. It is recommended that SFNC members cooperate with the American Kennel Club in research being done about problems in the Shiba Inu breed.
- It is recommended that any puppy sold with the designation pet/companion be sold on a spay/neuter agreement/contract with limited registration now supplied by AKC. The breeder may retain the registration papers until proof of sterilization. It is recommended that adults, placed as companions, be spayed/neutered prior to placement.
- No member of SFNC shall engage in wholesaling of litters or individual sales of puppies or adults to pet shops, or other commercial establishments, nor shall they be given as prizes in contests, nor exploited to the detriment of the breed or of purebred dogs nor any other type of wholesale outlets, including but not limited to mail order houses, dog agents, or federally licensed dog dealers in the U.S. or any foreign country, or act as finder for agent/broker, or by internet auction, or sell to institutions involved in research.
- Member shall not knowingly falsify any records, pedigrees or registrations and acknowledge that, if so proven, member will have their membership privileges revoked.
- Violations or infractions to the Code of Ethics are to be brought to the Board of Directors attention, and will be dealt with in the manner prescribed by the SFNC Constitution and By-laws